Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I think I'll run a 100 mile race in a few months, what do you think?


So as I was reflecting on my 100 mile race I came across some emails from a good friend of mine.  We were discussing my new decision to run JJ100! We were so clueless, it's funny!!! 

ME: “So do you want to join me for at least one lap of the JJ100!!!??  Do you think I am crazy??  Do you think I can do it??  Actually, I think it is like the week before NYC...so probably not a great idea for you!  Angela was telling me I'm crazy and then giving me advice on how to train!!  I heart her!!

JW: “Are they laps of 25 miles?  I would totally do it but I think it’s only 2 weeks before NYC.  Is there one at the end of the year?  Do they do a 50 miler to or just 100?  How many miles does Lou get up to before the race?  I could ride along with your if you’re going extra long on Saturdays.” 

ME” ÒH, I forgot to answer your questions...the laps are 15.4 miles.  No there isn't 50 miles...just 100, but I think you can do a 100K which is like 60 miles. Too bad you're already signed up for NYC!  That will be fun though.  I would love if you rode along with me, but I think you probably fall off b/c we'd be going so slow!  I'm not really sure how far and how long I should go.  I think Lou gets up to 40 miles in a day

Any advice is appreciated!!  I told Spencer to read up about Ultras and report back to me!  I know how he loves to get into that shit!  If it's up to me, I would just run, BUT I don't think you can do that with these...need to do some research and prepare!!

JW: “Check this out.  It talks about nutrition etc.  Says you should do 3 marathons before attempting – but who’s counting.  LOL!  http://www.marathon-training-program.com/ultra-marathon-training.html

ME: “NICE!  Thanks...yep, I've pretty much seen most people talk about having completed at least one marathon before attempting 50 miles...but I don't really listen to conventional wisdom!

I like how it says. "You need at least 3 years of running experience..." Got it!  In fact I think I have like 28 yrs of running experience. LOL!  I saw this website...challenging b/c the plan is for 6 mo...and I only have 16 wks., but the ideas are good!

JW: “See – you’re ahead of the game!  Yeah – but a whole chunk is speed and it says you can skip that part if it’s your first because you are just trying to finish.  SO you can cut the 12 weeks base to 8 weeks and then the strength to 6 and then you have 3 weeks of taper.

ME: “I'm the exception to the rule!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL!  Yep, 8 weeks base...should be plenty, right?  And 6 weeks strength...it actually seems like a long time.”
 Rachel D. La Grandeur

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and
narrow-mindedness."         
 ~ Mark Twain



Looking back I realize that even though I was so naïve, I still did my research and followed the expert’s advice! More importantly I listened to my body and learned to distinguish between the “I hurt because I hate running” and “I hurt because I’m truly hurt”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blender