Thursday, October 20, 2011

2011- The Year of Sustainability



Normally a new year or new anything is exciting for a gypsy.  However this year is different, despite the fact that 11 is one of my favorite numbers!  However, it seems that another year goes by…job market is shit, and unemployment still lingers around 10% for the national average.  Those of us born on the tip of Gen Y aka Millenials are once again stuck in this limbo; where saving money is of the utmost importance, but nearly impossible with little accumulated savings and even less of an opportunity to save.  So these thoughts make me think about how our grandparents and great grandparents managed.  After all they lived through the great depression.  I think our economic gurus have only termed this turbulent financial period as the great recession…or maybe I just made that up?  Whatever!

Regardless of terminology I have decided to do a little research into how those who came before us and  lived in more challenging times managed.  One thing I remember about my grandparents (always fearful of another great depression) is that they were very, and I’m going to use a trendy word here, “sustainable”.  As a kid growing up my grandparent’s “sustainable” ways were seen as frugal, thrifty, and useless.  I mean, really? Do we need to wash and reuse zip lock bags? They never work quite as well the second or third time anyways!  Nevertheless, Benjamin Franklin did say “A penny saved is a penny earned”.

So in this new decade I’ve decided to come up with some new ways to be more “sustainable”.  Some people may see that as thrifty/frugal/cheap or downright stingy, but the one thing that my grandparents didn’t worry about is what OTHER people thought!  A lesson in and of itself.  Therefore, I’m searching blogs and internet sights on ways to be more sustainable!  One website suggested using all those little shampoo bottles collected from hotels.  Sadly, I have a whole entire plastic bin taking up space in my tiny linen closet of these things.  Time to bring those out! Who knows how long it will take me to go through them all.  I may save up to $8! LOL! 

The funny thing is that all these little ideas save only pennies at a time and really don’t seem that significant, so I’m curious to see if they actually DO save money over time and do they save ENOUGH money for it to be worth my effort!

For 2011 I was completely Uninspired to set any resolutions.  Instead 2011 will be known as “Sustainability-a penny saved is a penny earned”.

What ideas do you have for saving money?

                                                                                                                     XOXO,
Moderngypsygirl



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blender