Monday, October 29, 2012

Chasing Bears to the Graveyard shift...and how I accidentally ran an Ultra Marathon

I was going to write a race report about my Bear Chase 50 miler in Sept., but then realized the run was SO BORING (in a good way), that I didn't even want to write it, never mind ask my fans (the 2 of your bored at work trying to look busy!) to read it! So for lack of creativity & the fact that I can't walk very well, I will use it as a segue into my Javelina Jundred pace report.

The Bear Chase 50 miler is a race in Lakewood Colorado hosted by the running group I run with in Denver. I have to give it serious props for being an extremely well organized & staffed race. It does help that I know most of the volunteers (since most of them are Runner's Edge Runners :) ). I really do like the course as there is a lot of tree coverage and it runs along a lake & most importantly, you have 3 awesome creek crossings.



Anywho, in an effort to completely lose my fan base I will continue. The race went perfectly. My nutrition was spot on (which was a relief as I'd had some issue with a 30 mile trail run a couple weeks earlier). I didn't have any breathing issues (again a problem I'd encountered a couple weeks earlier) and the weather was ideal. I started out conservatively, and remained consistent for the 3rd and 4th loops finishing both within a minute or two of each other. When I started my fourth & final 12.5 mile loop I felt great. I realized that I could speed it up once I got to my favorite part (the descent!) and have a fast finish. 

Since moving to Colorado I realize something about myself. I suck (YES SUCK!) at climbing, but rock (YES ROCK) at descending the side of a mountain...and for me the more technical the better, and to make it even more exciting make it in the dark! Anyways, I digress.

As I'm "running" I get to the top of what is called Mt. Carbon. At the top I decide I will squat down to stretch out my legs so that I can KILL the downhill. When I go to stand up I realize the most tremendous amount of pain in my right knee. I didn't hear a pop or anything and couldn't imagine what could cause so much pain. I try to shake out my leg, take a step, anything...all I can do (LITERALLY) is cry. It hurt SO badly!! 

I'm pretty fortunate that NO ONE was around to witness my little meltdown, but picture this...girl crying along side of dusty trail!  My crying was a combination of disappointment (because I still had 7 more miles to the race finish line) and pain (because an IT band~as I later found out~hurts REALLY BADLY!). 

So here I am on the side hill, trying to figure out HOW to get myself down this steep section. I literally was trying to scoot down on my butt, hold onto any available branches, only walk on my left leg, ANYTHING to get me to the bottom.  I somehow hobble the 2 miles to the next aid station where the medic tells me it's an IT band issue (which I'd never had before). In an effort to end the pain that is stabbing your eyes right now I will end with this...I absolutely was NOT going to quit, so I walked (and lucky for me I had some time in the bank) the last 7 miles for a finish in 11 hrs. & 28 min. Here's one of my fave pics of me on lap 2 or 3 (and because the universe is funny like this...the photo was taken at the EXACT spot I pulled my IT band!)


Well, do to my little injury, I opted to NOT run JJ100 again this year. Which was a smart choice, given the fact that I literally could NOT WALK for 2 days after The Bear Chase. So my training plan for Oct. looked like this

Week 1 = 0 miles logged
Week 2 = 4 miles logged ( 2 in pain)
Week 3 = 8 miles logged 
Week 4 = I will tell you in a minute! See I got you now, now you have to keep reading! 

So despite the fact that I can't run JJ100, I still decide to go to Phoenix to visit friends and hang out at the race....well and the fact that I paid $28.90 for my flight on Southwest (whoop! whoop!~pretty sure this goes down in the record for my cheapest flight ever booked). Now I am really going to digress...I did once get a hotel on Bondi Beach in Sydney for $14 (2 nights) with parking, evening cocktails, & full on breakfast!! (this goes down as my best travel deal ever!) Moving on...

So, after one week of NO running, I figure it's a good idea (NO GREAT IDEA!) to volunteer to pace my friend Rachel who was going to attempt JJ this year!  

I also figure I should fill my days with something OTHER than just laying by the pool all day reading trashy magazines, so I volunteer to help set up. After working Pike's Peak for 2 years, I realize how much work goes into setting up races & so it's always nice to help out when I can! It's like a thank you to the running gods for letting me run! 

So I have 2 intense days of setting up aid stations, building tents, moving supplies (basically, I am disgustingly dirty after being there for 13 hrs each day!!). Oh, did I mention building tents... So I show up for my volunteer duties the first day and they ask me to put up tents. I don't do camping and I don't do tents, so naturally I know nothing about building a tent.  I'm sure there were some chuckles from the peanut gallery as these guys watched me try to figure out how to put up a tent...pretty sure the running god was laughing too. But despite my lack of love and experience for camping I did manage (with the help of others) to put up 12 tents! YEAH! 


Anyways, volunteering for a race, requires a few skills, 1. being willing to do anything 2. be able to lift things that are at minimum half your weight to several times your weight 3. be flexible...and yes sleep will be a faint memory!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blender