Wednesday, October 19, 2011

How do you Train for 100 Miles?


So this is a question that I’ve heard a zillion times and one I even asked myself when starting out.

Truth is I had NO idea when I first started. I did what all Gen Y’ers do and I headed straight to the google god, carefully putting in my quotations marks around “Training Plan for 100 miles” as to eliminate any unnecessary jumble.  To my surprise NOTHING came up!! I quickly removed my quotations marks and STILL….NOTHING! I did find a training plan for 50 miles provided by Runner’s World. I thought about just doubling the distances! Luckily I wasn’t that stupid!!

So out of random circumstances (as is normal in my life) a running friend of mine told me that I should check out McMillian’s running calculator http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm. It is a cool tool for helping one figure out what splits should be for a 5K, 10K, etc.  So while I am wandering around the website, I come across custom training plans, and can you believe??? There is one for an ULTRA MARATHON!!!  Not only that, but they have one for 16 weeks away, which is FAB because I only have 16 weeks.  I quickly zip on over to paypal, pay my dues and fill out the questionnaire. 

My plan comes back in a couple of day…BUT, it DOESN'T have my 100 mile race on it! I truly think my coach (the fabulous Ian Torrence) totally blocked out the fact that 1. I have only been running for 1 year and 2. My longest distance was a half marathon!!  I sent him a message back asking WHERE my race was on the training plan (and I’m sure he fell on the floor laughing, or rolled his eyes, or both).  Promptly, I had a new plan with JJ100 on Oct 23!  I have to toot Ian’s horn here. Ian was amazing!! He made a perfect plan that fit my skill level and challenged me.  Check out his blog here. http://iantorrence.blogspot.com/  So in answer to the question, how do you train…you pay Ian Torrence a small fee and follow his plan religiously, or as closely as I did!!  http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ctp.htm

So along the way I made a video of my Saturday morning routine (because GOD knows I can’t remember what I was doing at 3-4 am in the morning!!).  So enjoy! 






                                                                XOXO,
Moderngypsygirl.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blender