Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Stage 1...Goal: Take Pictures, finish under 6 hours.

The best part about our accommodation (other than the comfy bed, great fireplace, & beautiful shower) is that it was right in front of the race start! The best part of this is that we could sleep in!! Which is kind of comical considering the race doesn't even start until 8:30 am...one of the benefits of running at 8000'.

Although I had a comfy bed, I didn't sleep super well (sleep seems to always be a casualty before a big race for me!), and I was a bit anxious to run. You see, I don't like to run on courses to which I'm not familiar! I feel like if I know a course I can mentally prepare for any surprises (like long hill climbs!). BUT, with 4 days notice, it's not likely I'd have any time to prep for today's run. I'm lucky I had time to pack clothes!

Carlos and I ready for Stage 1 (This is our Orange Day!)
We did our best to coordinate outfits each day! 
I was also a bit anxious because I've never ran with a partner before. I am not certain of the rules, but there is some rule that you have to check into the check points within a minute of each other or something?!? My biggest concern was that I would be super slow and that my left hamstring would be bothering me!

So the week prior, I went to a PT to have some ART done on my legs. When I found out that I was running the TR, I was open to trying anything to help me get healthy, fast! So I tortured myself by doing cryotherapy. It is basically putting yourself naked into a cylinder that blows cold air (like -300F) onto your body for 2.5 minutes.  The only benefit I gained was that it entertained my masochistic tendencies for 5 minutes (yes I did it twice!), and drained my wallet of $100 bucks!  Moving on!

So after checking in (near the back of course...this is our theme!) We listened to AC/DCs "Highway to Hell" ...as if I wasn't already questioning my decision to say Yes to this race! 


And we were off! The first bit was really quite pretty! Since we were near the middle/back of pack, there was a long line up the hill. I didn't mind as I really don't find any enjoyment in climbing hills!! 

It was also nice because we had an opportunity to meet people around us. Since it is hard to remember people's names I just called people by their state. We had our California friends (2 very awesome ladies from Cali!), we had our Canada crew, and then we had our Florida ladies!! We also met "goat" who is a bit of a legend in the Ultra running community and is the race director for Nanny Goat and some other races out in California that have the word "goat" in them.

The best part was that Billy the Bison (remember our stuffed animal from my first report...are you reading these things?!?), had a lot of friends out on the trail. There was a squirrel carried by a Swiss German girl (more about her in a minute) and Rocky the frog carried by a man that I pretty much would NEVER assume would carry a large stuffed animal in his pack :). 


Back to the Swiss German Girl with her free loading squirrel.

She was running with her boyfriend, but he wasn't as fast as her, so she would run ahead of him until she got near a checkpoint. Then she would run back to meet him, so that they could check in together. So she gets the award for having ran the most miles! Every morning when we would see her running backwards we would think, GREAT, there's an Aid Station coming up!! 

Cheers to a job well done for both of them!

We did see some pretty cool views out there today too!





Our last 4 or so miles were all on a flat ground...which I wasn't such a fan of as it really bothered the Hamstring. However, my awesome partner Carlos kept me going those last few miles...which will be a theme in this race!


Billy taking  a break. It's hard work  riding in a Nathan Pack. 

I adhered strictly to the 20 MPH ;)

The awesome tunnel we ran through 

After finishing our days run. 
Carlos and I sporting our amazing sponsor! 
Here are the stats for the day :)

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like there is a more direct route to the end. 



I knew that last bit wasn't FLAT!!! 


At the end of the day Carlos delivered the good news that we had come in 8th place. Which I thought was fabulous, until I discovered there were only 11 teams in our category! lol.

Since our race ended in the middle of nowhere (literally), I had the pleasure of taking my first (AND ONLY) shower in the mobile shower. In all honesty it was actually pretty nice.


In addition to the mobile shower there was tent nation. 


I just couldn't bring myself to sleep in a tent. Luckily Carlos was a good sport (or on the same page as me) and so we opted for car camping.. Yes, it's a step up from sleeping on the ground. I actually had my Pottery Barn duvet, European Shams, & blankets with me...not suitable for a tent. Not my best nights sleep, but acceptable. Here's to Stage 2: Hope Pass!

 XOXO,
Moderngypsygirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Blender